NCCAT provides teachers with new knowledge, skills, teaching methods, best practices, and information to return to their classrooms through high-quality professional development. The ultimate result is improved performance and achievement by North Carolina's students. NCCAT has several exciting Science programs coming up. Free lodging, materials, and meals are part of the NCCAT residential experience while learning from top instructors and collaborating with teachers from across the state.
Upcoming programs –
Teaching Science is Phenomenal
When: February 19-21 at Cullowhee
Are you ready to transform your science classroom? Dive into the world of phenomenon-based learning with our professional development program - Teaching Science is Phenomenal!
- Explore research-based pedagogy that elevates the New North Carolina Science Standards.
- Emphasize the 8 Science and Engineering Practices for impactful teaching and learning.
- Experience mind-blowing phenomena that captivate and engage students in Science like never before.
- Build a strong foundation using the acclaimed text by Brett D. Moulding and Rodger W. Bybee.
- Elevate your teaching to new heights! Join us and make Science an unforgettable experience for your students.
Preparing the Ambitious Science Teacher: Igniting Inquiry and Critical Thinking
When: May 13-16 at Cullowhee
Unleash the power of ambitious science teaching! Our program, Preparing the Ambitious Science Teacher, is your gateway to creating dynamic and powerful science instruction.
- Challenge your students with rigorous, ambitious science activities.
- Foster rich classroom discourse that brings science concepts to life.
- Align with standards and make student thinking visible in every lesson.
- Embrace the wisdom of Ambitious Science Teaching by Mark Windschitl et al. as your guiding text.
Elevate your teaching to inspire curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking. Join us in shaping the next generation of scientifically literate minds! Reserve your spot now and embark on a journey to revolutionize your science classroom!
Both programs are led by NCCAT Senior STEM Specialists Dr. Jennifer Redfearn. Dr. Redfearn joined NCCAT in August. She has been an educator with Guilford County Schools for the past ten years, serving as a high school science teacher and central office administrator. She was recently honored with the Distinguished Service in Science Education in North Carolina Award from the North Carolina Science Teachers Association.